Top Celebs From Film, Television, Sports, Music Communities and More Add Artistic Contributions to Briggs & Riley Luggage To Benefit Juvenile Diabetes Research.
New York, New York April 15, 2007 -- Briggs & Riley Travelware, a leader in innovative, high-quality travelware, and more than 20 of today’s biggest stars have joined forces to help raise money for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) via an exclusive online auction that will feature each celebrity’s uniquely designed luggage. Morgan Freeman, Kelly Ripa, Tony Hawk, Ray Romano, Leah Remini, Jim Belushi, James Avery, Ivana Trump, Rachel McAdams, and Bryant Gumbel are among the top celebrities who have added their personal touch in the name of charity to Briggs & Riley’s 22” Baseline Carry-On Uprights® with distinctive artistry, decorative crafts, autographs and priceless memorabilia.
The Briggs & Riley Design For A Cure™ online auction brings together stars from several entertainment communities to support JDRF’s mission of finding a cure for diabetes and its complications through the support of its research. The charity initiative will kick-off on June 14th with a private launch reception for members of the press, JDRF and participating celebrities at Grant Gallery located at 7 Mercer Street in SoHo. For a limited time, the public can view the decorated luggage at the gallery starting June 15th through June16th.
Fans can visit www.briggs-riley.com to view the bags. Beginning on June 14th, supporters can take part in the star-studded auction with all proceeds going to JDRF by visiting www.ebay.com/briggsriley.
Jim Lahren, vice president of marketing for Briggs & Riley states, “Briggs & Riley has been involved in the past with JDRF fundraising, but this is a unique way for us to team up with today’s top celebrities to raise funds and draw attention for an important cause. Juvenile diabetes affects so many young people, and this is a creative and innovative way to support the effort to find a cure.”
Each sophisticated Briggs & Riley carry-on is given its one-of-a-kind status from each celebrity’s creativity and artistic expression. All contributed luggage is as unique and special as the star that created it, and a must-have for any true fan. The customized collection includes the following distinctive creations:
- Oscar® winner Morgan Freeman chose a 'sporty / destination' theme for his creation. The garment sleeve inside the bag contains a handwritten list of all his famous movies.
- Kelly Ripa, co-host of Live With Regis and Kelly, decorated her luggage in the spirit of girlhood, with cute dresses and pink splashed throughout the bag.
- Tony Hawk, the pro skateboarding entrepreneur, showed off his artistic talent decorating his bag with a detailed sketch of himself skateboarding.
- Ivana Trump autographed her luggage and covered it in colorful plastic jewels.
- Rachel McAdams, the leading lady from The Notebook, Red Eye, and Wedding Crashers, created an exquisite bag with the help of an extremely talented artist friend. The carry-on is painted entirely white, with an abstract image of a woman’s face, painted in black with red lips.
- Jim Belushi, star of According To Jim, and a major Chicago Bears fan, showed his love for the team by creating a Chicago Bears themed carry-on painted entirely in blue and orange.
- Leah Remini, star of King of Queens, autographed and also decorated a Briggs & Riley carry-on in the spirit of girlhood.
- Ray Romano, star of Everybody Loves Raymond, covered his luggage with New York and Yankees’ themed crafts. He also added his trademark humor to the carry-on by writing, “Do not lose me!” on the back. An autographed copy of his book, “Ray Romano, Everything and a Kite,” is also included inside the bag, along with a DVD of the hit movie Ice Age.
- Shelley Morrison, who played the hilarious maid Rosario on Will & Grace, intricately decorated the luggage with a handmade dreamcatcher on the front and the word “Dream.” She also included an autographed and marked-up real script from Will & Grace, a scarf that she hand-knitted, and a gift bag she assembled and gave to the cast of the show as a holiday gift.
- Sportscaster Neil Everett had the entire SportsCenter cast sign the luggage that is decorated in sports team logos and filled with SportsCenter paraphernalia.
- WNBC sports anchor and author Len Berman decorated his bag with sports logos and decals, and included his book, “Spanning the World” inside the luggage.
- Jackie Mason, the legendary New York comedian, showcased his roots in New York and the Jewish faith with his decorated carry-on. He included his signature and the quote “The Ultimate New York Jew” next to a Star of David on the front.
- Bryant Gumbel, host of Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel on HBO, used memorabilia from his show and more to decorate the Briggs & Riley luggage, including New York sports team decals. He loaded the inside of the bag with DVDs, books, tee shirts and an umbrella.
- Nikki Cox, star of Las Vegas, decorated her luggage in a playful Disney Cinderella theme including Minnie Mouse decorations and the phrase “Every girl is a princess” on the front.
- ESPN sports anchor John Anderson decorated his luggage with sports logos, and actually drew a golf course on one side of the bag. On top of the bag, he wrote, “Help JDRF find a cure.” Inside the bag, John included two ESPN tee shirts, three mugs, and a cap.
- Sasha Alexander, star of NCIS, turned her luggage into a West-coast-themed creation, with the words “Hollywood” and “Napa Valley” on the case, along with “Luv 2 Travel.” Sasha included paraphernalia from other shows like Melrose Placeand 7th Heaven inside the luggage.
- Hip-hop mogul and producer Damon Dash covered his carry-on with a montage of his many enterprises, clothing labels, TV films, etc. Inside the bag, Dash included a CD entitled “Damon Dash: The CEO’s Point of View,” and one pair each of autographed Pro-Ked men’s sneakers and fashionable women’s high top sneakers.
- Jonathan Lipnicki, most recognized for his breakout role in Jerry Maguire, created a travel-themed piece of luggage, with decorations representing different destinations around the world pasted on the carry-on. Inside the luggage, Jonathan also included a signed water polo ball he played with as a kid.
- Ashley Benson, star of Days of our Lives, enlisted a young friend recently diagnosed with diabetes to help her decorate the luggage, creating a design with her photo on the front, and Hollywood-themed decals and stars. Ashley also included Days of Our Lives paraphernalia inside the luggage.
- Robert David Hall, star of CSI, focused on peace as the theme of his luggage. Also, as a big baseball fan, Robert included Yankees and baseball symbols on the luggage.
- James Avery, star of Fresh Prince of Bel Air, actually worked on his piece with friend Robert David Hall, and created a peace-themed carry-on as well.
- James Reynolds, star of Days of our Lives, chose a “basketball” theme and included a script of the show autographed by other cast members.
- Ming Tsai, Celebrity Chef and author, Ming chose an Asian theme, and a bright red dragon is painted on the front of the bag, along with Chinese writing and other symbols. Inside the bag, Ming included three autographed books: “Blue Ginger,” “Simply Ming: East Meets West Cooking with Ming Tsai,” and “Ming's Master Recipes”. He also included three Kyocera products: Ultra-sharp Advanced Ceramic Blade Cleaver, Adjustable Ceramic Mandoline Slicer and The Perfect Peeler.
- Geoffrey Zakarian, Celebrated Chef and author, hand painted the logo of his popular New York City restaurant, Country, on the front panel of the bag and added a silver satin trim around the border, creating a sophisticated and elegant look.
Many of the celebrities used artistic materials provided by EK Success, the country’s largest scrap booking and paper crafts company, to decorate and personalize the bags.
For more information on the auction, please visit www.briggs-riley.com.
About Briggs & Riley Travelware
Briggs & Riley Travelware is dedicated to building a lifelong relationship with its consumers by fulfilling all of their travel needs. The company’s wide variety of innovative,high-quality luggage and business cases match smart design and exclusive features, with maximum durability and superb value. Briggs& Riley backs all of its products with the best-in-the-industry Simple as that® lifetime performance guarantee, a guarantee that even covers damage caused by an airline. Please visit www.briggs-riley.com for a full list of the latest products and store locations, and follow us on Twitter for announcements on specials, promotions and new products.