Welcome to the great state of Texas! The capital city, Austin, Texas, offers a wide variety of activities, delicious eats, and simply oozes with the “Keep Austin Weird” culture. Austin is home to nearly one million Texans, live music and events throughout the year including Austin City Limits (ACL) and South by Southwest (SXSW), mouth-watering TexMex and BBQ eats, and even Matthew McConaughey! Austin locals enjoy spending their free time being active outdoors, attending local concerts, and discovering new restaurants with flavorful eats!
What to do & see:
Paddleboard or Kayak in the Colorado River
- From early spring through the warm fall, you will find plenty of Texans paddle boarding or kayaking in the Colorado River! You can bring your own paddleboard or kayak to the river or rentals are available at various spots along the river. This is a great option for solo or group travelers who are looking to be active and enjoy an incredible view at the same time. I highly recommend doing a sunset tour to witness the large bat colony emerge from the Ann W. Richards Congress Avenue Bridge. You can view the bat colony of 1.5 million bats typically from March to October.
Barton Springs near Zilker Park
- Barton Springs is a spring fed swimming area that is popular to locals and non-residents! There are some areas that require an entry fee of less than $10 and others that are free if you can find them! This is a great place to cool off and float the river during the hot Texas summers!
Texas Hill Country Olive Oil Co (https://texashillcountryoliveco.com/)
- Feeling the need to get out of the city? Head over to Dripping Springs, Texas for a tour and tasting of the Texas Hill Country Olive Oil. They offer a wide variety of olive oils, balsamic, and gift sets. This family run business offers a subscription service where you can select specific products or be surprised with new flavors to try in the convenience of your own home. My family have been ordering this quality olive oil for several years now and recommend these products to everyone!
Where to eat:
Fresa’s Chicken (https://www.fresaschicken.com/)
- Texas is well-known for the Mexican food and Fresa’s offers delicious grab and go tacos, salads, delicious vegetables, and of course churros! Fresa’s offers breakfast, lunch, and dinner so make sure you add this stop when you visit the capital city of Texas!
P Terry’s Burger Stand (https://pterrys.com/)
- An affordable fast food restaurant that is well known for their burgers, fries, and shakes! This is a great easy stop for an affordable and delicious meal while you are road tripping through the great large state of Texas.
- Franklin Barbeque (https://franklinbbq.com/)
Lick Honest Ice Cream (https://www.ilikelick.com/)
- And for dessert, head to this local ice cream spot to help cool you down after enduring the Texas summer heat. Lick Honest Ice Cream offers delicious unique and local flavors such as Goat Cheese Thyme and Honey and Texas Sheet Cake. A personal favorite is the roasted beet and fresh mint! You can treat yourself to an entire pint if you please and if you are vegan or dairy free, there are delicious options available for you!
What not to miss:
A classic photo op at one of Austin’s many murals! Austin is well-known for the numerous murals available around town with a few featured below with their location as of May 2020. As the murals change often, I recommend using Google, Pinterest, or Instagram to find the location of the perfect mural for your keepsakes and of course Instagram!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.